Recipe Testing: Butterbeer

Wow! It's been months since I posted. Reasons being, I took a small hiatus while I revised my thesis. Plus, the Community Teaching Certificate program began. But now that one of my ever-so-mounting responsibilities, which was my committee approved thesis is under review by the Graduate Studies department, I can blog again.

I've wanted to use the butterbeer mugs I got from the Harry Potter World at Universal Studios in 2011. While I had all this time to do it, I did not know anybody who shared the love of Harry Potter except for Michael (who enjoys it because I do). Six years later, Michael and I found that our friend's daughter listened to all the Harry Potter books and watched the movies. She had planned to go "glamping" with us over the weekend, and I promised I'll make butterbeer (well, attempt to make it).

Since Mother Nature decided to storm on us, we were forced to return home, which worked out because all of my Harry Potter movies were at home.

I found a pretty easy butterbeer recipe to try from Delish.com. They only problem I had with it was that I could not find butterscotch syrup anywhere. I tried the local Smart and Final store, which by the way sells every flavor of Torani Syrup syrup under the sun, except butterscotch. Since English Toffee resembles butterscotch in taste, I opted for that syrup instead.




The recipe was good. While I don't exactly remember how it tasted since the last time I've been to Universal Studios, Florida was a little over a year ago; it's reminiscent of what I do remember. The only drawback to this recipe is the whipped topping, which contains melted butter that was folded into the topping. The melted butter in the topping solidified into chunks when it hit the cold English toffee/butterscotch flavored cream soda. I would make it again, but this time, instead of folding melted butter into the whipped cream, I would try butter extract, which I believe is available in the grocery stores.

Otherwise, it's a good and easy recipe.